Art Outside the Box is a project conducted by the Harrisburg Downtown Improvement District and Sprocket Mural Works to brighten and beautify the downtown area of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
You've seen them before.
Traffic utility boxes. Big, blocky, dull, and gray, usually covered with graffiti, stickers, and grime. Not exactly the prettiest things to look at, right?
The Harrisburg Downtown Improvement District and Sprocket Mural Works are working to change that. Fourteen unsightly utility boxes will be given the makeover of a lifetime, undergoing a colorful transformation granted by the skilled strokes of an artist's brush. Fourteen talented artists will be chosen to beautify these long-neglected boxes, which will not only showcase their abilities, but make downtown Harrisburg a more visually appealing, welcoming place.
Not only does the artwork provide eye candy -- it also serves as a graffiti deterrent. Like the DID's previous projects, such as Discover the Ducks Downtown, Dino-Mite Summer, and the addition of unique bike stands and colorful flowers, painted pots, and shade-providing trees, Art Outside the Box is intended to make downtown Harrisburg a prized destination for residents and visitors alike. Our goal is to make Harrisburg CLEAN, SAFE, and BEAUTIFUL, and we hope you enjoy the splash of color our painted boxes bring!
The 14 boxes set to be painted include:
• Locust Street and Second Street
• Pine Street and Second Street
• Second Street and Market Street
• State Street by Cork and Fork
• Locust Street and Third Street
• Walnut Street and Fourth Street
• Market Street and Fourth Street
• Chestnut Street and Third Street
• Third Street and Market Street
• Second Street and Walnut Street
• Chestnut and Second Street
• Front Street and Chestnut Street
• Front Street and Market Street
• Walnut Street and Aberdeen Street
Click on the map on the right to see more, or download to navigate downtown while the artists work on their boxes!
Map detailing the locations of 14 utility boxes to be painted.